The War of Art: Resistance

Resistance is something I am very familiar with. Like everyone else, I come face to face with resistance everyday. In fact I battled with it in regard to writing this post. In the case of blogging resistance usually wins the war.

Resistance seems to creep up on me constantly. I've come to realize that one of my main flaws is my inability to push myself. I'm not competitive, not too hard on myself, and not overly concerned with what others think of me. It has become very easy for me to succumb to resistance, and this worries me. Soon I will be leaving home and starting a new part of my life. I know that there will be no one to push me but myself, and I hope that I will be able to do that.  

I thought that the point about resistance being impersonal was particularly interesting. According to Pressfield, resistance does not know or care about who you are. It simply wants to prevent you from achieving your goals. Resistance is something outside of our control. It is not that I sabotage myself. It is a "force of nature" working against me. Because of this I have no excuse to not overcome resistance. It is not an internal war. Typically, when I am overcome by resistance I blame myself for my own inability to work effectively. It is true, most of the issue is myself, but resistance is not cheering me on. Just like resistance has found my weaknesses, I need to find the flaws in resistance's plan in order to conquer.


Comments